Do you have the servlet.jar in your classpath (needed for Tomcat) or put the tools.jar
in the Orion directory (see Orion installation instructions)?  Try upgrading at least
to Orion 1.3 (the latest stable version).

-----Original Message-----
From: Roland Dong [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, January 22, 2001 3:06 PM
To: Orion-Interest
Subject: RE: Problem Compiling Servlet! Please help

I have successfully auto-compiled the servlet(HelloWorld2.java) by following the
instruction in the documentation.

However, I wanted to compile the servlet with JDK 1.3 compiler to compile the servlet
and I did not succeed.

Your documentation says:

"Of course you can also compile the Servlets using your favourite IDE or java
compiler. If you do so you simply put the Servlet class in the WEB-INF/classes
directory of your web application. If you do not want to package your Servlets into a
new web application, you can simply put the classes in
/orion/default-web-app/WEB-INF/classes/ "

I tried to put the HelloWorld2.java under WEB_INF/classes directory. It won't compile.
I got errror mesasges: like:

HelloWorldServlet2.java:2: package javax.servlet does not exist import javax.servlet.*;

I guess the problem is the path... If so can you tell me how to set the path so that
my Java compile can compile the servlet? I am using orion 1.0.1.

Thanks a lot,

Roland