I'm confused by your comments; does it need to manage state, or doesn't
it?  I'm assuming it does, otherwise you would just use a stateless
session bean.

Here's some fodder for conversation:

I don't think there is an EJB facility which will help you.  SLSBs are
pooled and can timeout, SFSBs have no lookup mechanism, can timeout, and
aren't reentrant (although Orion, despite the spec, serializes calls,
which is good), and entity beans will get all wacky because of the
multiple instances you will get from an optimistic concurrency model.

It seems like what you want is either a SLSB which never times out and
is guaranteed to only have one instance in the pool, or a BMP entity
bean with a guarantee of serialized transactions.

Is it possible to make Orion do either of these?  And what would happen
in a clustered solution?

I propose that the only server-independent way to do what you want is to
use an RMI server.  The EJB specification really needs a
"SingletonBean", preferrably one which allows concurrent calls (and thus
reasonable performance).

Comments?

Jeff