Are you sure that the JDBC driver isn't finding its way into the
classpath?  Did you try the console remotely from a machine that you
know doesn't have the JDBC driver?

You may already know this, but just in case:  Almost all of the orion
tools (including orionconsole.jar) are simply empty jar files with a
manifest that sets the Class-Path to include orion.jar and defines the
appropriate Main-Class.  You're still loading the orion.jar classes,
potentially activating whatever classloader loads jars (especially the
JDBC driver) out of the lib directory.  Did you take this into account
in your tests?

We now have four different theories about how application-client JDBC
works in app servers:

1)  Database-specific JDBC driver gets packaged with the application
client and loaded into the client VM.

2)  Database-specific JDBC driver gets http-classloaded into the client
VM.

3)  Serialized classes come from JNDI.  Actually, I think this is just
another way of saying #2, because java RMI uses http classloading to get
the class definitions to a new client.

4)  App server provides a JDBC proxy which implements a proprietary wire
protocol (or at least RMI "object protocol") to communicate with the
server.  Note that this is not just simply a matter of remoting the
implementation of the Connection interface; you would have to remote the
implementations of ResultSet, Statement, and any other interfaces
associated with JDBC.  And you have to be pretty smart about how you do
it, otherwise it's going to perform a lot worse than EJB methods.

Does anyone out there *know* what Orion does?

Jeff