I second that opinion on SapDB, clean and nice GUI tools for managing the
database, support on linux, windows and other unix flavors.  The JDBC driver
is type 4.  The documentation is nice but could be improved.  And if you
want commercial support from sap themselves it is available since they still
have a 100 developers assigned to it.  I ran into some issues with the
deployment on Linux but most were overcome.  It feels very solid.  Worth
checking it out.