From: Trond Nilsen [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: 28 February 2001 22:51
To: Orion-Interest
Subject: RE: Servlet Filters

> We want to use a servlet filter to intercept *all* requests that come into
> the web server.  Is this possible?  It seems to work for all files when I
> put the URL filter as "/" or "/*".  But we're also looking to be notified
> when a directory resource is requested.  An example of this might be a url
> that looks like so:  "http://www.somecompany.com/test".  Test is not a
> virtual directory nor is it a directory under our site root.  We forward
> these directory requests to a JSP that then produces the appropriate
output
> for this directory on the fly.
>
> Has anyone tried this?  Or is there another way to filter HTTP requests in
> the Orion web server?

Given that you seem to have worked out how to intercept /*, intercepting
/test/* is a simple extension of that.
Presumably you have something like this in your web.xml

<servlet-mapping>
        <servlet-name>WhereStuffGoesByDefault</servlet-name>
        <url-pattern>/*</url-pattern>
</servlet-mapping>

So for /test/* you'd have

<servlet-mapping>
        <servlet-name>TestServlet</servlet-name>
        <url-pattern>/test/*</url-pattern>
</servlet-mapping>

The problem is working out which order they're considered. I imagine it's
probably the order they're specified, so you'd want the test one listed
first
in your web.xml. I'm assuming that by intercepting all requests you want
everything (except test/*) to go to a particular servlet. If you just mean
intercept and feed back whatever resource they asked for, then all you need
is
the second code snippet in your web.xml

Trond.