Tomcat, unfortunately, is one of the slower servlet runners available.
Orion is one of the fastest, and it allows an upgrade path to EJBs if he
wants to evolve his architecture that way.

But you're right, Orion (or any EJB container) adds a lot of complexity
and expense.  Caucho's Resin is a good, fast, and cheap servlet runner
http://www.caucho.com.  I used it for a bit before I "upgraded" my
architecture to EJBs and adopted Orion.  Resin is a very nice product
for what it does, much nicer than Tomcat.

Jeff