From: Sean Neville [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, March 08, 2001 7:34 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Article on dependent objects

Dependent objects have already been marked for removal from the spec;
moreover, local entities -- probably at least as controversial -- have
been
introduced both as a partial replacement for pieces of the dependent
object
concept and to solve the need to permit parameter pass-by-reference.

I would guess that the next pfd of the spec (and probably another
article
from Tyler, followed by another series of intelligent reviews from Dan,
Gene, and others on this list) should surface by late April, but in the
interests of spreading the info as early as possible to those who don't
happen to work for a vendor and thus already have this info (power to
the
people), here is a quick and completely unofficial description of local
vs.
remote EJB's as posed to us in another discussion. It is obviously
subject
to change, and only the EJB and J2EE specs are in any way definitive.

Local
-----
Access only with scope of PM
No Transaction attribute
No Security check
Can expose CMP and CMR fields and local refs
PBR parameters
Local exception model
Signatures use full Java type system
Typically fine grained methods
High coupling due to PBV side affects and fine grained exposure

Remote
------
Global access
Requires Transaction attribute
Requires Security check
Prohibits exposure of CMP and CMR fields and local refs
PBV parameters
Container interposed exceptions
Signatures restricted to RMI-IIOP compatible types
Typically coarse grained methods
As loosely coupled as a procedural object can get