I hope this helps.

I manage this by making sure that all URLs used in the web app are absolute
(of course they can be absolute and still be dynamic). and include the
appropriate protocol. This of course includes form actions. Then I can
enforce that certain portions of the web app are only accessible via HTTPS
by including the something like this in my web.xml:

<security-constraint>
   <web-resource-collection>
      <web-resource-name>your-resource</web-resource-name>
      <description>your-desc</description>
      <url-pattern>/root/page.jsp</url-pattern>
    </web-resource-collection>
    <auth-constraint>
      <description>your-desc</description>
      <role-name>user-or-whatever</role-name>
    </auth-constraint>
    <user-data-constraint>
      <description>your-desc</description>
    </user-data-constraint>
 </security-constraint>

Now the server enforces that the url indicated by the security constraint
can only be delivered by HTTPS.

BW
Russ