I ported our Orion application to JBoss. I love JBoss for
usability, documentation and support. Unfortunately our application is very
performance dependent the JBoss version ran very slow. After playing with
cache setting, etc. It seemed like the communications was the main bottle
neck.
To test this I wrote a simple session bean with one get method that returns
a Long.

The client looped 10,000 times calling the getter. The Orion version was 6
times faster!
Other tests we ran had Orion running 4x faster.

It seems that JBoss certainly is performance limited.

I'm running on a 900 MHz PIII under Linux with Sun's JDK 1.3

Paul Fink