There are many ways to handle support issues, and I can give some ideas. An
interesting model is to see what commercial products like Resin
(www.caucho.com) are doing.  They offer several levels of support, based on
different prices, and they have the source code available to customers.
Currently they sell a great JSP engine, with plans to add EJB support in the
future.  So what can Orion learn from them?
1.  They can make the source code available.
2.  They could hire more Java programmers.  I am sure they are in Sweden,
since the Orion team lives there, in addition to Rickard O., a cofounder and
developer of Jboss.
3.  If the source code were available, more people from this list could
become familar with it, and hire themselves out as support consultants.
4.  Make partnerships with other companies to offer support, which would
still mean having the source code available to the companies.
5.  Hire a technical writer to create a manual, equavalent to the jboss
manual.  The sale of one server for $1500 would more then pay for this
effort.
6. Get purchased by a deep pockets company, that has no EJB or JSP products,
and become part of their staff.
I could go on, but ideas are easy to come up with, and are not difficult to
implement.
  Now on to other servers and open source.  Orion is unique, since it can
offer a great commercial server for $1500, and offer features compatible
with BEA.  But while the open source efforts, such as Jboss, Enhydra, Jonas,
and openejb, are still in their infancy, and you may not want to use them
for production now, I personally root for them, encourage them, and in time,
I believe they will offer production quality products that compete with the
big names.  And if Orion keeps on plugging away, they too will be immensely
successful. May the force be with them all.