All right, so that wasn't *that* hard: the line
'connection-driver="com.merant.datadirect.jdbc.sqlserver.SQLServerConnection
"' should have been SQLServerDriver instead; connection-driver refers to a
Driver, not a Connection.
   So it's up and trying to hit the database.  One problem: The bean I have
so cleverly created is called "User".  Orion obligingly attempts to create a
"user" table and hits a tree -- user is a reserved word in SQL Server.  So I
edited the ms-sql.xml file and added "user" to the list of disallowed field
names, but no dice.
   How can I prevent Orion from using invalid table names?

-- Chris