Title: RE: ejb 2.0 proposed final draft #2 is out
I'm still reading but here is what I'm learning:

Dependent objects (as they were in PFD1) are gone.  They have been replaced
with something called a local view.  An entity bean may have either a remote
view or a local view, but not both.  A remote view is the typical entity bean we've
all come to know and love.  It's methods are exposed to the client via the remote
interface and calls to it occur over RMI using call-by-value (ignoring optimization
techniques).  A local view entity is one whose local interface exposes methods
that are only accessible within the same JVM.  Therefore no remote clients
may access these beans.  They do not use RMI and use the typical call-by-
reference that you are used to when you make object-to-object method calls.
Local views have the equivalent Home and Object reference, but with local
in them.

As for one poster's response (below), they probably didn't want to change
the name of the Remote view classes/interfaces for backward compatibility
reasons.

I'm not going to say whether or not this approach is ideal, but I can tell you
that who ever writes these specs does a good job of making them very
readable.

-tim