Personally Linux, but you can add an interesting option: Solaris 8.0 for
x86.

My gut feeling and some circumstantial evidence (a.o. the infamous test in
which MS outperformed  Linux 2.2 on a 'big' SMP box) gives me the
impression Solaris could out perform Linux in the TCP/IP arena. I have seen
no performance tests to support this theory. I would be interested though.

As a bonus you get more sysadm support tools (network installation etc).

[Note: the test I'm referring to is a head to head comparison of MS giants
a Linux 2.2 kernel, showing that Linux lost in due to their TCP/IP
implementation. The 2.4 kernel
has to my knowledge a improved TCP/IP stack.]

FE