For production, Win2K/Orion 1.4.7/PostgreSQL.  For development,
Win2K/Orion 1.4.8/hsql.  I'll probably move the production box to 1.4.8
soon since it seems to work well enough with my code.  I have test
systems running Linux/PostgreSQL too.

The only problem with Win2K is that it's a pain to get everything set up
as a service.  RunExeSvc doesn't work with Win2K, and I haven't yet
spent the time needed to get any of the various JNI service adapters
working.  So I'm still starting my sytem by hand from a terminal
services window (which means the app server, an rmi server, and
tnameserv).  Yes, I'm playing fast and loose with my site
availability... but in the year or so I've had the machine, it has never
crashed or involuntarily rebooted :-)

With Linux it's much easier to configure Java apps as daemons, but I
can't render my dynamic images with any reasonable quality - XWindows
renders fonts like a three-year-old with a half-eaten crayon :-)

Jeff Schnitzer
http://www.similarity.com
http://www.infohazard.org/junitee