Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.  The network adapter error
came from the way Oracle MTS handle JDBC calls.  Even if you call it by using
an IP Address, when it responds back with the connection information it sends
a hostname even if the JDBC driver made the original call using an IP
address.  The JDBC driver made the connection, which I could see in the
listener.log file, but when oracle told it to close the connection and
reconnect at the specified port on hostname the JDBC driver closed it's
original connection and got lost trying to resolve the hostname, since it
hadn't gotten added to DNS yet.

Kep