From: SCOTT FARQUHAR [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, May 24, 2001 6:13 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: JSP variable in nested Tags

I have a feeling that this is not orion-specific (websphere ie tomcat does
this too)

if you have any spaces between " and <% then you will encounter this
problem.

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 05/24/01 04:58am >>>
I have an interesting little problem. I am using the Jakarta <input:textarea
...> tags inside an <iterate> tag. One of the attributes of the
<input:textarea ...> is name, which I am setting using name="<%=
myVar.getMyProp %>". This works fine, until I put text in front of the "<%".
If I do that, it sends the literal string instead of the value of the
variable.

Example 1 (Works):

<ejb:iterate id="orderItem" type="OrderItem" collection="<%= col %>">
        <input:textarea name="<%= orderItem.getOrderItemID()%>" attributes="<%=
commentTable%>"/>
</ejb:iterate>

Produces:

<textarea name="1001"></textarea>

Example 2 (Fails):

<ejb:iterate id="orderItem" type="OrderItem" collection="<%= col %>">
        <input:textarea name="comment<%= orderItem.getOrderItemID()%>"
attributes="<%= commentTable%>"/>
</ejb:iterate>

Produces:

<textarea name="comment&lt;%
out.print(orderItem.getOrderItemID());%&gt;"></textarea>

I have looked at the JSP 1.1 specification, but couldn't find anything that
said it should be processed one way or the other. I have a feeling that this
is an Orion specific issue, but can't find out which way is correct to
submit a bug report. Does anyone on the list have a resource to point me to
on this issue? Thanks in advance for your help.

OS: Win2k
Ver: Orion 1.5.1
JDK: 1.3

- Ernie Phelps