Hi Patrick,

We thought about that and that is a possibility but we haven't got yet
to the "failover setup".
The possibility we are studying is to cluster the application servers
"behind" the proxy and let the proxy be as simple as possible. The
failover would be in this case, transparent. Another possibility would
be to let the SSI script issue a redirect to another place, but this
would mean an external redirect (not transparent to the user). If you
want this thing to be transparent, you would have to modify the Apache
configuration to modify your proxy settings to point to the new
location. I haven't tried but I'm not sure this can be done dynamically
. That's what we do manually when we modify an application server
location but I wouldn't call this failover ;). In the end, you would be
kind of replicating, through Apache and SSI, what container-clustering
is already supposed to give you so... why?
Next step I want to try is to use the proxy also as a cache for static
content, hence improving the speed of the content that doesn't need to
be dynamically generated. I already tried but I have to find the proper
settings as it is caching more than what I need. Then we would just have
the extra trip for the dinamically generated content.

Dan

<snipped for brevity>