Why not let the container manage the actual number of instances created?
That would lead to 3000 proxy instances, but just a handful of SLSB.

> Of course SSB remote interfaces will need to be tied to that session!!

I can't quite follow you here. Do you meaqn the http session?

> What about the few Entities that might be accessed from the web tier?
> <reentrant> vs not reentrant Entities??

Entities that are reentrant, by the EJB 1.1 spec (section 9.1.12), are those
that can be called in a loopback WITHIN the same
transaction. Different transactional contexts calling the same Entity(by
this I mean an entity with equal PK) are not reentrant calls. Basically,
this allows for loopbacks in a call thread, but its use is discouraged by
the spec.

> I wish the EJB spec was clearer about reentrancy of the remote
> interface or maybe someone can shed some light??

Again, check out the same section on the spec; transactional context
(sometimes called activity) plays an important role in determining if a call
is reentrant.