Hmm, a whole bunchof interesitng questions !!!

1) It is a known bug. Linux threading is kind od cheesy. ALthough it
does support native threads (green threads) any thread spawned off in
the JVM gets transalted into another Linux process. Thus If nothing
else, you will have at least to Java Processes running - the JVM and the
Garbage Collector.

2) By default Java assumes it is the only process running in a given
memory space, and therefore it consumes memory ad infinitum. You can
stop that by specifying a ceiling for the JVM - the "-Xmx" option  when
you start your JVM.

3)Leaks,leaks,leaks. Yes there are leaks in Orion. We've run into a very
nasty one that no one seems to know why it happens. It's got to do with
JMS.
For some reason Property objects don't get cleaned up. As such, memory
usage will keep on going. We are trying one way of dealing with this:
usrin the "-Incgc" option with the JVM (incremental garbage collector).

You might want to contemplate invokeing the collector yourself !!!

Hope this helps somewhat !
Have fun!

Bruno R. Baloi
Lead Software Architect