Hi David,

We don't have a sophisticated system, but it works well for us. What we
do is put an Apache web server, acting as a proxy, in front of the orion
server. Then, in the proxy configuration you can specify a redirect page
in case something goes wrong, and we use it to redirect to a SSI script
that determines which application is down and which page should be shown
as an error message. This way you show automatically an error message,
just by shutting down orion or by returning a 500 code from your
application.
I hope it helps,
D.