From: Stephen Davidson [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Sunday, February 03, 2002 6:58 AM
To: Orion-Interest
Subject: Re: Deploy Existing EJB's on Orion?

Billy Rutledge wrote:

> Hi All...
>
> I am setting up Orion as an alternative to WebLogic and need help getting
> started.  Currently we run WebLogic 5.1 and it allows you deploy EJBs
> separately from your web apps.  So typically, we deploy the beans once and
> then deploy many web apps that reference the deployed beans.
>
> Looking through the docs, it doesn't seem clear on how you would
accomplish
> the same thing on Orion.  If we have EJBs that are already .jar-ed up (v
> 1.1) can we just deploy them to Orion?  Or can you only deploy the all
> encompassing .ear files?
>
> Any info on how to get things started would be much appreciated!
> -Billy

Hi Billy.

I have been deploying the ear file everytime.  However, Orion has been
scanning it to see what has been updated.  If it is only the war file ( I
have one war
file, multiple jars), only the war file is redeployed, the jars are not
redeployed.  If only one EJB-jar file has been changed, only that jar is
redeployed, and
not the war file and the not the rest of the jars.  Since I am doing the
deployments remotely, just sending one file over has been proving easier and
faster for
me than trying to send the individual files over.

The only time that I have had difficulties is when the API's for the EJB's
are changed, or EJB's are added or deleted.

-Steve

--
Stephen Davidson
Java Consultant