I have done both of the things mentioned and it still doesn't work.
The JNDI properties only need to be set explicitly for jbuilder debugging.
I am informed by Borland that this is probably because jbuilder is using
it's own JNDI settings.
When I run the application in orion normally, it works fine without
specifying the JNDI settings,because I have put the ejb-ref tags in the
web.xml.
The problem is that, as shown below, the jndi.properties file in the
META-INF directory of the war file is not being found.
I'm pretty sure that if it was found, debugging would work.
I just don't understand why it isnt being found.

grant