I forgot to mention, Anchor Bible Commentary on Ezra draws exactly the
opposite conclusion from the Elephantine data, that Ezra reflects the Aramaic
of c. 400 BCE.  (Torrey's alleged Greek loan words in Daniel hasn't stood up,
or his theory of  Aramaic sources behind the gospels, so his linguistic
conclusions should perhaps be used cautiously.  He's quite excellent on
source criticism on Ezra-Nehemiah, however.)

     R. Gm.

>  C.C. Torrey discusses the late (2nd-3rd century BCE) date of the Aramaic
of
>  Ezra and Daniel as compared with the Elephantine Papyri in _Ezra Studies_
>  (various editions) 161-66.
For private reply, e-mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED]