On Jul 28, 2009, at 16:48 , Patrick Ohly wrote:

This is the case I was worried about: "delete all" is fast *and* can
return the number of items. I don't think that this is unrealistic.
Don't SQL databases with one row per item fall into this category?

If you really have one row per item, yes. But just add a bit of complexity with exception records etc. and relations, and it'll get difficult again.

Anyway, currently in SyncEvolution the performance difference isn't that
large, so let's focus on the other aspect: the statistics are not
incremented even if the engine does the deleting one-by-one.

Ok, I didn't look up that one myself in the implementation before replying, sorry.

But thinking of it, I believe I did it this way intentionally. It very much depends on point of view you have for the "deleted" count. For myself, I prefer seeing only deletes issued from the remote side, and I consider cleaning out the local DB before "reloading" the data not as real part-of-sync delete operations. Of course, YMMV.

Is this something that can or should be changed?

Can certainly, should - IMHO for a generic sync engine it might make sense to add an *option* to add these to the count.

Lukas Zeller (l...@synthesis.ch)
-
Synthesis AG, SyncML Solutions  & Sustainable Software Concepts
i...@synthesis.ch, http://www.synthesis.ch