Hello Patrick,

On Oct 25, 2011, at 10:46 , Patrick Ohly wrote:

>> Now I don't understand. Why do you have to *not* report a 404 in
>> ReadItem now??
>
> Reporting to the engine is fine, reporting to the user is the
> problematic part. Let me explain.
>
> The SyncEvolution output, the one that is visible to end-users, contains
> INFO and ERROR messages about operations happening in the backend. Each
> attempt by the Synthesis engine to read a non-existent item results in a
> user-visible error. Or rather, two of them in the case of a super data
> store combining "calendar" and "todo":
>
> [ERROR] error code from SyncEvolution fatal error (local, status 10500):
> calendar: retrieving item: 20111023T082825Z-2322-1001-1969-0@lulu-rid:
> Objektpfad des Kalenders kann nicht abgerufen werden: Objekt nicht gefunden
> [ERROR] error code from SyncEvolution fatal error (local, status 10500):
> todo: retrieving item: 20111023T082825Z-2322-1001-1969-0@lulu-rid: Objektpfad
> des Kalenders kann nicht abgerufen werden: Objekt nicht gefunden
>
> At the point where that logging happens it is unknown whether the error
> is really a problem or can be ignored. Only the Synthesis engine itself
> knows. When I started to use the Synthesis engine, I tried to make the
> logging happening inside the engine visible to users, but it simply
> wasn't meant to be used for that and so I gave up on that approach.
>
> Admittedly the ERROR message above is not very informative either.

Ok, that is a bit of context needed to understand the initial statement :-)

But if the superdatastore was changed from probing with ReadItem to directly
probing/deleting with DeleteItem, the error reporting would look similar, as it
would show failed deletes for those subdatastores not containing the object in
question.

I mean, for deleting a todo from the calendar superdatastore item you'd see
something like "calendar: failed deleting item xy" and "todo: deleted item xy
ok" (don't know if success is shown as well). Would this be any better / more
understandable?

Best Regards,

Lukas Zeller, plan44.ch
l...@plan44.ch - www.plan44.ch