On Oct 25, 2011, at 16:32 , Patrick Ohly wrote:

> On Tue, 2011-10-25 at 15:46 +0200, Lukas Zeller wrote:
>> But if the superdatastore was changed from probing with ReadItem to
>> directly probing/deleting with DeleteItem, the error reporting would
>> look similar, as it would show failed deletes for those subdatastores
>> not containing the object in question.
>
> No, because I never consider attempts to delete a non-existent item as
> an error and thus would always suppress the error message.

But still return 404 to the engine, I assume.

> After all, the desired outcome was achieved.
>
> This is different for reading where not getting the item data may or may
> not be relevant.

Yes, seen from a standpoint where the result of the operation counts, and not
the process, a failing read is relevant while a failing delete is not - the
desired result for the latter (item gone) is ok, even if the item has
disappeared sometime before.

Makes all perfect sense to me now :-)

Lukas Zeller, plan44.ch
l...@plan44.ch - www.plan44.ch