I agree with Raja that Rafe has a soft spot for OSS, despite all the
"luahan hati" from him. Its good to release your frustrations,
Rafe,...keeps your BP in check.

As far as the statement that Msia is not visible as OSS hub or
development area compared to Singapore by your internal team (I
presume its MDEC internal team), it will be interesting to see the
facts that they used to conclude this. I cannot say whether its true
or not but I can say there are weaknesses we need to overcome in order
to strengthen our position in OSS regionally and globally. This may be
a little long but pls bear with me...

A. Short term
1. I am sure we have many talented developers out there who are
involved in OSS in one way or the other. Its only that we do not know
or hear of all of them very much. Some may prefer to be low profile -
its their personal choice.

How do we get them to contribute to global OSS projects? I am sure one
of the many questions in developer's mind would be - what do I get if
I contribute - will it pay my bills, feed me etc? No easy answer to
that but I think it can be whatever you want it to be and more - with
hard work, some luck and a supportive & thriving ecosystem. While we
cannot control luck, I am sure it will eventually come when there is
adequate supply of the other 2 ingredients.

Now, do we already have a supportive & thriving ecosystem for
developers (OSS in particular) in Malaysia? If we do have one, how has
it helped the developers so far? How can it be improved further? If we
don't have one, how do we get started?  I like to hear your views on
this....

B. Long term
2. We have been a nation of users for too long - and many are probably
happy to continue this way. We have not been successful to get our
citizens to be "hungry" to innovate and be producers, instead of just
being users. They say "Necessity is the mother of invention" - well,
maybe life is quite comfortable for us, Malaysians, and perhaps we
don't see any need to be innovative - be it in schools/universities,
work,etc. I hope I am wrong in this.

My view is that we are not doing enough (compared to developed
nations) to ignite the creativity & innovation among our citizens
especially the kids and younger generation. Yes, we see activities
here and there but it is sporadic, not coordinated and lack big
picture targets. I hope the recently established dept in PM's Office,
UNIK, will be able to coordinate this effort on nationwide scale in a
more effective manner. I hope UNIK will utilise OSS as one of the
tools to help them accelerate innovation at all levels of society,
working together with all stakeholders.

That's my RM 0.02 worth of "luahan"....

regards
Jacob