I can't say what the problem is, but I doubt it is PolygonOffset.  On
my own PSSM implementation and other simpler shadows that I have done
everything works well with factor = 1.1 and units = 4.0.  These
numbers come straight out of this document:
http://www1.cs.columbia.edu/~ravir/6160/papers/shadowmaps.ppt

Numbers as large as 10.0/20.0 really shouldn't be necessary, and I've
never heard of using negative numbers for PolygonOffset.  That's a new
one on me.  Anyway, I believe the problem lies somewhere other than
PolygonOffset.
--
Terry Welsh - mogumbo 'at' gmail.com
www.reallyslick.com  |  www.mogumbo.com