"1. Changing the collada build files (VC8 project file in my case) to
differentiate the collada release and debug build by library name not by
directory."

I understand this is a problem for some people. The last "official"
release of the Collada DOM (1.3) uses '_d' to differentiate debug and
release libs, so they can be placed in the same directory if necessary.
I took that out because I thought it was redundant, but that has proven
unpopular, and for good reasons. Before the next official release I'll
put that back in. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Steve