(Sorry about my previous messages to the list  I seem to have a button
pushing problem today.)

Creator is just fine for modeling depending on what you're looking
for.  I use it for modeling aircraft, buildings, and pieces of cities
all the time.  I believe newer versions of it even do multitexturing
and shaders, but I have only used older versions of Creator that can
only handle a single texture.

Creator saves .flt which maps very cleanly to OSG's scenegraph
structure.  Artsy modelers like 3ds max are powerful and let you do
lots of pretty stuff such as making very organic (curvy) models and
use really complex material properties, but they don't map as well to
OSG's structure.  You'll need to rely on an exporter like OSGexp to
get your models into OSG.  I have used OSGexp successfully, although
sometimes I needed to hack it a bit to get exactly what I wanted.

For an airport I'm guessing you could get the job done faster with
Creator, but there's no simple answer to your question.  It's best to
do a test model in each package and get it loading in OSG.  Depending
on the types of models you want, one modeler might be a whole lot
better than the other.
- Terry