> Double check this assertion, use OSG_NOTIFY_LEVEL set to
> DEBUG to find out which fonts have been loaded in each case.

Good idea. This shows that 2.2 (correct size) and SVN head (large size) are
both loading the same font file: OpenSceneGraph-Data\fonts\arial.ttf.

> Do they use the same version of freetype?

They are different versions. Current SVN head's FreeType plugin won't link
against the older version of freetype I had been using previously. Here are
the versions I'm using:

  My SVN head binaries use FreeType 2.3.5
  My 2.2 binaries use FreeType 2.1.9

J-S -- Understand you don't see the same issue. What version of FreeType are
you using? (And please confirm you're on Windows VS8.)
   -Paul