On Dec 14, 2007 7:59 PM, Zachary Hilbun <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> To me an API is only as good as it's documentation.

I'd suggest that the OSG is proof that point of view is a perhaps just
a little flawed.

Good documentation but a poor API and implementation don't make for
successful end user applications.

However, with a good API and implementation you do have a least have
chance of making something useful.

I'm not suggesting not having good documentation is not a great thing
to have, obviously great documentation and great API and
implementation is all what a perfect project would be composed of.

>From my experience with the OSG project, its the software that solves
the problems at the end of the day, and the majority of contributors
to the OSG and clients who pay for parts of the OSG to be developed
have a problem to solve so they write the code or fund the work to do
it.  One can say write the documentation first then the software, it
might work for you, but so far for the hundreds of contributors to the
OSG this hasn't been the case, the gifts that are given tend to be
source code.

Thankfully there has been exceptions, the QSG was a funded
documentation effort, and there have been efforts like the ref manual
by Paul Martz and Bob Kuehne, but alas the revenue from books does
match the level of effort put in so it is a case of labour of love.
Work on the tutorials, wiki and examples are also gifts to the
community.  However, this work is still in minority - few people have
time to spend on activities that don't directly result in getting
their project deadlines met, and alas few companies have tens of
thousands of dollars to put towards serious documentation efforts.

I do like the idea of small white papers on different topics, small
chunks of documentation are much easier to squeeze in a free day here
or there, than spending many months on a major book.  Coherency with
such works is more difficult though, but still wouldn't detract from
their usefulness.   Personally I'd love to see enough funding to
employ a fulltime technical writer, failing this perhaps part time.

Would companies be prepared to help fund documentation effort?   Such
as by sponsoring or just straight donation?  The amounts we'd need to
find would be ten of thousands of dollars to be able to do do any
significant chunks of work.

Thoughts?