I'm looking for a way to export from OSG to 3DS format.
I notice that OSG does provide a plugin for loading 3DS, but does not
appear to support the output of that format.

Looking at the sources for the 3DS plugin, I noticed that there is
code that may support part of the process of 3DS output e.g. in
c:\OpenSceneGraph\src\osgPlugins\3ds\file.cpp
extern LIB3DSAPI Lib3dsBool lib3ds_file_write(Lib3dsFile *file, iostream *strm);
extern LIB3DSAPI Lib3dsBool lib3ds_file_save(Lib3dsFile *file, const
char *filename);

These methods can write out the data structure created during model
import, so I wondered how big a job it is to fill in that Lib3dsFile
structure with an OSG scene.
Has anyone has a go at this? If so, I can volunteer to help finish it off.
Suggestions or pointers anyone?

Chris Denham.