-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of J.P.
Delport
Sent: Monday, April 07, 2008 3:44 PM
To: OpenSceneGraph Users
Subject: Re: [osg-users] nVidia card textures memory

Hi,

Guy wrote:
> Hello,
>
>  First I know my question has nothing to do with OSG, but a lot of OSG

> users might come across this subject and any guidance would be most
> appreciated.
>
> The questions I ask regard the nVidia textures memory and how to
access it.

> 1. I'd like to pass data from nVidia texture memory to other card, on
> the PCI-Express bus. Is it possible and how to get Texture memory
> address and to map it to PCIE address? Or if there is a possibility to

> make the card render to memory address which is already mapped to PCIE

> address?
>

> 2. I'd like to run some image processing code on the whole screen (no
> matter what applications are running on and what they display).
>
> For that matter, I need to get the screen "image", run my algorithm
and
> display the result full screen.
>
> The problems with that are:
>
> 2.1 After one frame that *I* draw, the next time I'll get the screen
> image it might include changes *I* have done to the data.
>
> 2.2 Getting the screen data is slow.
>

> So the more complicate way to do it is to make all the applications
> running, draw to an off-screen memory buffer, process that buffer and
> display it.
>
> Or "plug-in" image processing code, somewhere on the card, after the
> driver drawing call functions and before the data it presented on
screen.

> My questions are:
>
> 1. Is it possible to access the display buffer data on the nVidia card

> "just before" it is displayed on screen? (plug-in my code)
Sorry, I have no idea.

> 2. Would setting the apps drawing to n'th nVidia virtual desktop to
that
> trick? And then again, does the nVidia card has address of memory
buffer
> for each n'th virtual desktop?
Not sure about how the data flows, but this sounds a lot like what
"compiz" does on Linux. Basically all apps draw to OpenGL textures and
the results can be modified before it is displayed. Maybe if you look at

how they do it you might get some ideas.

> Thanks,
>
>  Guy.

cheers
jp

This message is subject to the CSIR's copyright terms and conditions,
e-mail legal notice, and implemented Open Document Format (ODF)
standard.
http://www.csir.co.za/disclaimer.html.

MailScanner,
and is believed to be clean.  MailScanner thanks Transtec Computers for
their support.