Hi Gordon

Thanks for that explanation.  I've got a few other questions if you don't
mind.

First, the parameter passed to the setLODScale function is called bias and
is a float.  Based on the example you gave with three LODs, would the
parameter passed to this function be 3?  Also, I see that both the SceneView
and Camera classes are derived from CullSettings.  Should I be calling the
SceneView's setLODScale or the Camera's?  I also see that there are
references to the CullSettings in the CullStack and CullVisitor, and even
further references in classes such as osgSim and osgTerrain.  I guess what
I'm trying to do is to figure out which object's setLODScale should be
called and what parameter to pass to it.

Second, using your example again, are the three ranges for the LOD stored in
the model file itself?  Do you happen to know, or could you point me to, the
OSG format for these parameters?

And finally, our modeling department is rather swamped at present.  Are
there any tools (free tools are always good) or algorithms that I could use
to decrease the polygon count in a model without compromising texture
coordinates or general quality?  I've seen some polygon reducing algorithms
that totally destroyed the model in terms of correct texturing.

Thanks,
Brian