Hi Ben,

Very nice of you to start this documentation. As you already found out this are not working out of the box wrt shadows, all the different techniques have different characteristics. I am swamped with work but I will try to fill in some of my experiences. So far I have spent most of my (shadow-related) time on SSM and PSSM. To start with, you could add references where the original ideas are published. E.g. SSM comes from GPU Gems 2.

best regards
Raymond

Ben Discoe wrote:
Alright.  I have created a wiki page here, with my best attempt at documenting
what i've learned so far:

http://www.openscenegraph.org/projects/osg/wiki/Support/ProgrammingGuide/osgShadow
It would be really great if someone who actually /knows/ the code could fill in
things like:

* How do the various ShadowTechniques differ?
* What specific card capabilities (geometry shaders, ?) does each
ShadowTechnique require?
* Which ShadowTechniques respect which CastsShadow/ReceivesShadow bits?
* What do those PSSM options do?

J-S, Wojtek, Adrian, Robert, Mihai, Raymond, Paul, others... can you take a
minute to help?  Or if you prefer, you could answer any of the blanks from the
wiki page here on the list, and i'll be happy to paste them into the wiki for
you.

Thanks,
Ben