Robert Osfield wrote:
On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 4:14 PM, Thrall, Bryan
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
There was a time when the best hardware for the job only ran properly
under Windows, now this is no longer the case, Linux and OSX have
caught up. Windows XP is at end of life, and Windows Vista performance
is poor for OpenGL apps.   While Linux just goes from strength to
strength.
Is there any way I could get you to convince my coworkers of that? :)

Convince them of what part of what I'm asserting?  The fact the Linux
is going from
strength to strength for vis-sim apps?  That WindowsXP is at end of
life?  Or that
Windows Vista performance is poor for OpenGL apps?

Personally I'd like to see the whole of vis-sim move across to Linux,
as I believe it
just makes a better allround platform for deploying simulators.
Clients apps that
have a bit of 3D thrown in need to work on the platform that the user use, be
that Windows, OSX, Solaris, Linux,  but for turn key systems where its
disirable to have complete control over the platform I would have thought Linux
would be a hands down winner.

I am curious what elements about Linux as the platform of choice for sims
needs qualification?  File system performance?  Threading?  Scalability?
Stability? OpenGL performance?

I am also curious about the factors that hold developers back from deploying
sims on Linux, i.e. even if Linux is superior at all the above, what
prevents one
from move to the platform?

I am ready to move to Linux and have been for a long time, but am unsure which version to use, etc. I have Unix experience from back before, but still unsure of the curve to choose the right version / tools. Are Linuxes all the same, is there one better suited for developers. What are the nice development tools for 3d, ie. image editing, model creation / editing and visual development environment with debugging? Thanks.

Brett