-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Julian
Looser
Sent: Monday, June 09, 2008 5:04 AM
To: OpenSceneGraph Users
Subject: [osg-users] Manually setting osgManipulator transformations

Hi,

I posted a question a while ago about osgManipulator, but didn't get any

replies. My problem is that I want to be able to set the transformation
matrix directly on a selected object, in addition to using the various
osgManipulator widgets. That is, setting the matrix in code should
update the widgets, and interacting with the widgets should update the
matrix. From what I can tell, it's currently only possible to generate
the transformation matrix with osgManipulator - you can't modify the
transformation matrix and see that change reflected back in the widgets.

I would be surprised if nobody has run into this problem before. It
seems like required functionality for many applications where the
widgets in osgManipulator would be most helpful. In my case, I'm trying
to recreate a rudimentary 3D editor and the ability to type specific
translation and rotation values into the GUI is just as important as
being able to directly drag the handles on the manipulator widgets.

I've reached the conclusion that I can't do this with osgManipulator so
I'm considering reimplementing something to suit my needs. I'd really
appreciate it if someone could tell me:

a) that I'm wrong and osgManipulator *can* do this (would be great!)
b) is anybody working on osgManipulator who I could collaborate with on
adding what I need?
c) would it be easier/cleaner/faster to simply start from scratch?

I only propose (c) because it looks to me like osgManipulator is
designed as a sort of message-passing system that incrementally modifies

a transformation matrix. Trying to make that process work backwards
sounds tricky, and making it so you can seamlessly jump between manual
(typing) and direct (click and drag) editing modes sounds even harder.

As always, thanks for listening. :-)

Cheers,
Julian.