A prime example of an incredibly useful non-Geometry Drawable is Text.
Nodes which draw or otherwise display text are not Geometry, but are
definitely still drawables. And as Gordon mentioned, there is always the
opportunity for user-defined Drawables which implement their own raw
OpenGL calls for custom draw capabilities.

Reviewing the source and reference guides (doxygen) would easily answer
all of the questions brought up in these two threads.

Matthew W. Fuesz

Software Engineer Asc.

Lockheed Martin STS

1210 Massillon Road