Thanks for the culling mode tip Robert. My terrain was generated using
VirtualPlanet builder, but I didn't do it, so I'll get back to you when I
get more details on that. I'm running my application on 2 machines getting
similar results: a 64-bit-Linux-86 with a double headed Nvidia Quadro
3450. The other is an intel MacBook Pro with a GForce 8600. The available
RAM for both is way over 1GB. I am trying OSG 2.6.0. It usually runs
smoothly at 60fps, but on this particular terrain, when zoomed in, and at
angles on which I look far into the distance, the framerate drops to below
20, which is unacceptable for my application.  I believe I end up drawing
way too many triangles for the computer to handle efficiently. I am trying
to find ways to run at a solid 60fps no matter what.

-Jose