Thanks you very much for this explanation Robert, I better understand it
now.

As a side note, setting a drawable to DYNAMIC protects it from being
modified by the update traversal, but if I remove a drawable (or its geode)
from the scene during the update, do I need to set it to DYNAMIC too ? In
other words, drawables in STATIC mode are the only ones which are never
modified nor removed from the scene ?

On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 6:24 PM, Robert Osfield <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> Hi Serge,
>
> On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 5:16 PM, Serge Lages <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> > Thanks Wojciech for the tip, I'll try the beta drivers, but could you
> > explain why CullDrawThreadPerContext should be safer than
> > DrawThreadPerContext ?
>
> A scene graph that has it's Drawable and StateSet DataVariance setup
> correctly (i.e. DYNAMIC for items that change) should be as stable in
> DrawThreadPerContext as CullDrawThreadPerContext, but... it's easy to
> miss them, but if you get crash on the OSG side then this is something
> to look for.
>
> CullDrawThreadPerContext isn't sensitive to DataVariance settings as
> the cull and draw traversal always finished before
> Viewer::renderingTraversals() completes, so the main thread that is
> calling it (or frame) will work single threaded, while
> DrawThreadPerContext and CullThreadPerCameraDrawThreadPerContext will
> allow the draw thread to overlap with the main thread.
>
> Robert.

Serge Lages
http://www.tharsis-software.com