Hi Jean-Sébastien,

2008/10/15 Jean-Sébastien Guay <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> Hi Mathieu,
>
>> This new feature (BUILD_DASHBOARD_REPORTS
>> option defaulted to OFF) will permit to some people willing to share
>> some build time on various platforms to submit compilation results on
>> a regular if not automatic basis.
>
> Interesting!
>
> One question I have is, if CMake automatically updates the working copy (to
> 00:00 for Nightly, or to right now for continuous), does it then re-run
> itself to regenerate build files if some source files were added? If so,
> what happens if there's an error when generating the build files (error in
> the CMakeLists.txt or something like that)?

Good question, after testing, it fails without reporting. I tried this
with the Continuous build : after generating a valid makefile I
modified locally the root CMakeLists.txt so that it contained invalid
code. Calling 'make Continuous' tries (and fails without reporting) to
regenerate the Makefiles before doing an (svn) update. So if there is
an error committed in the repository, there is way cmake can recover
from this situation by itself.

This is a though situation. If this happens, the only way I see is to
do a manual svn update when the repository is clean again... Not very
satifying, I will think/sleep on this :-)

> As for build scripts, perhaps the one you have on the wiki could be included
> with the OSG sources in some subdirectory, and another could be developed
> for Windows that would do something similar. I'd be willing to make my work
> machine build nightly on Windows if we can get someone more versed in
> Windows batch programming make a good batch script that would do this.

Others have been looking into this, and I think It is necessary to
have some sort of scripts available for the community to (at least)
adapt from. Let's see tomorrow if their Nighly build scripts worked !

Another aspect needing attention is configuring (semi-automatically)
the information passed with the submission about the compiler, the os,
the site. So that for example the build name reflects a bit more the
system than a plain Linux-c++ :-)

> I think setting up this kind of thing (which IMHO is unobtrusive, since it
> runs at night when I'm not working) will give us more information about the
> status or general health of the SVN (and any branches we want to monitor)
> and thus would reduce the calls to test current SVN manually, and increase
> confidence that at least the releases will build correctly on various
> platforms.
>
> Now if we could convince Matthias to set up nightly builds on the large
> number of less used platforms he apparently has access to ;-)

I myself should be providing an IRIX64 Nightly and Continuous build.
Others are welcome to pop in.

Mathieu