Robert Osfield wrote:

/Hi Mike,

Um... I guess you haven't read the thread about managing ten's of
thousands of osg::Box's yesterday....

So go read the last two days emails as a back ground.

In the case of sphere's I'd see if you can get away with point
sprites, if you can then this will be the most efficient way forward.
Personally I'd create a set of osg::Geometry containing as many points
as you have targets, or perhaps even just one to be lazy, and then use
point sprites to make this points/or textured targets.  Then just
update the positions of the points per frame when required.

Robert.

/Actually, I did read the previous posts. My problem is that I have to dynamically scale the
spheres (ellipsoids) as they are representing actual 3D error covariance values that change
depending on the number of hits made by the sensor (they typically start out large and get smaller
as more accurate measurements are made). And, I have both a "in the truck view" and a
"God's Eye view", so the appeance of the ellipsoids will change depending on viewing
angle. Would sprites work for this case? I may be out of luck in speeding this up, but just wanted
to make sure that there was not a more efficient way that I'm missing.

Mike Greene