Hi Robert,
It just great ! you can imagine a lot of cool stuff with that.
supervising a lot of computer screen :) could be good for a network teacher

very interesting

Cheers,
Cedric

Robert Osfield wrote:
Hi All,

Elements of the Volume rendering project that is now underway are to
do with doing multi-media/multi-application presentations in 3D, with
volume rendering the central media of interest, but also bring in
other media/applications is of interest.  This this end one of the
ideas we've come up with is putting a vnc window into a Present3D
presentation, originally I had expected this to be rather a large
task, but thankfully it's not been difficult at all thanks to to
availability of LIbVNCServer that does all the hard work for us ;-)

As a experiment I've written a very simple example, osgvnc, that has
an osg::Image that serves as the buffer that the LibVNCServer client
library fills in your us, this Image is just applied to a standard
Texture2D and standard osg::Geometry.  Added an event handler that
manages the projection of mouse coords onto the geometry and then into
the coords of the remote desktop, it then send the mouse events and
keyboard events to the remote desktop.  All this is done with just 268
lines of code.

To test it out you'll need to run a standard vnc server (tight vnc is
supported) on your remote machine - I'm just running two computers
here on a local network and running osgvnc like:

  osgvnc 10.0.0.2

This brings up fullscreen 3d window with a quad with the remote
desktop on it, moving the mouse on quad starts mouse on other remote
desktop moving, and type into a window term I've run osgviewer cow.osg
on the remote machine.  Attached is the result, 3d in 2d in 3d!

This little experiment doesn't solve the problem of getting a VNC
window into Present3D, for this my thought is to create plugin that
has code very similar to osgvnc embedded in it, and when you do a
readImageFile() or readNodeFile() on a string like 10.0.0.2.vnc it'll
create the scene graph that we can then use in any of apps, so one
would be able to do:

  osgviewer 10.0.0.2.vnc

And have it automatically create a usable subgraph for us.  At least
that's the theory.  It might actually be worth creating an osgWidget
class for managing such subgraphs - such as the input/output to it,
it's early days right now so I'm open to suggestions.

One of the fun possibilities to this vnc functionality would be to
have 3D virtual environments that map to the real world, such as to
have a virtual room with computers in it, and you could walk to a
computer, switch it on and get a connection to the real machine and
see its real desktop.

Or perhaps a more practical one - the zooming and panning capabilities
of a 3D surface are fluid, so perhaps it might make it possible to
have a remote desktop client for people with impaired sight.

Have fun!

+33 (0) 6 63 20 03 56  Cedric Pinson mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.plopbyte.net