Hi Robert,

I tend to agree; however, I'm looking to do some image quality comparisons (compared to one of our methods) for a research paper. I don't have much time left before the submission deadline, so I was hoping for some quick, out-of-the-box method... I know how most of these methods work (I did some work in the past on parallel dynamic LOD terrain rendering also) but it takes too much time now to implement it myself :)

Robert Osfield wrote:
Hi Ferdi,

The VirtualTerrainProject adds a number of continuously level of
detail implementations on top of the OSG so you could look at this for
inspiration.

Personally I feel that doing meshing per frame on the CPU is had it's
day, and graphics hardware is better driven using data that is
download as static blocks to the GPU, and then rendered locally.  You
can render scenes with a million vertices on screen at one time quite
comfortable at 60Hz on modern hardware so you aren't fighting with GPU
capabilities these days, bandwidth and memory management and CPU loads
are far more critical good performance - something that CPU based
meshing is very poor at.

You can of course mesh on the GPU these days too :-)

Robert.