2008/12/9 Robert Osfield <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> HI Simon,
>
> On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 3:30 PM, Simon Hammett
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Well I'm not too keen on having loads of third part stuff in the default
>> core.
>> Building osg is already painfully slow, the only machines I have
>> access to are over 3 years old...
>
> The CMake build system only compiles that components you have
> dependencies for, and you select building of components as well.  If
> we do add extra 3rd party plugins it shouldn't make any different to
> your build times, unless you require these plugins.
>
> Speeding up the OSG build is separate topic, so I won't dive in to
> suggestions on this thread.  You're welcome to start a new thread on
> this topic to so what others might recommend to helping cut your
> compile times.
>
> Robert.

True enough, but I am only building the core of osg and the default plugins.
None of the other components build as I don't configure them and I'm unlikely
to ever use them. I'm not going to be using any of
osgParticle/osgTerrain/osgWidget
in the foreseeable future either (worse luck)

If there are another bunch of core libs, eg. osgWidget I have to remember to
disable them in cmake or they build as well. It's not too bad at the moment,
but if we wind up with lots of 3rd party libs the cmake interface is a pain.

But it also seems silly to have a core library which doesn't build by default,
or you wonder why it's there.

Unfortunately we 'doze uses have to build the debug and release builds so
it all adds up.

Perhaps the cmake could be split in 2, so there's one for the core (and a couple
of examples) and another for the extras? That would work with visual studio
projects but I don't know if that would work with linux build systems...

That would be handy as people new to osg could get up and running faster
and you've still got all the goodies to play with later.