Hi Robert,

Your idea to "get adverts to pay for adverts" is worth trying. But for my part,
this would be useless since I generate no significant traffic.

> An effective advertisement would also just be becoming a bit better at
> promoting new releases and events, writing articles, promoting active
> users to blog about there work.  This type of activity needn't cost
> more than time.

Blogging can be an idea too... but to be effective, it has to be made on
blogs/pages that have a relatively hight importance for search engines, I
guess. The problem is then the same as adverts, isn't it?

>> Where I don't totally agree is on the game market. I guess we mainly are
>> engineers/researchers, not marketing professionals; so concentrating on
>> OSG's features is logical. Of course we have to keep OSG's strongest points.
>> But the game market has to be infiltrated by OSG! The benefit for OSG would
>> be to have a different use for its code, and thus giving it more varied
>> contributions. Why is there so few people wanting to work on osgAudio, and
>> osgPhysics? Why did we have to wait so long before osgWidget and
>> osgAnimation's integration? IMHO, the game market is an (the?) answer. We
>> could use the power of vis-sim and virtual-reality features in games, and
>> vice-versa.
>> Remember that it's awfully difficult to get from "very good" to "perfect",
>> whereas it's easy to go from "nothing" or "very bad" to "acceptable". At
>> least a few things about gaming would provide us much.
>
> In the case of NodeKit's like character animation, audio, 3D GUI
> widgets and physics end users have been largley rolling their own.
> Some of these areas have had OSG style NodeKits developed, but few
> have been appropriate for integration with the core OSG.  One could
> stuff a whole load of functionality quickly into the core OSG but
> doing so would break the coherence of the overall toolkit.

Okay, so surely the *cross-platform* game market has to be infiltrated ("Don't
create a game from scratch and for only one platform! Use OSG to cut your costs
by 50% and increase your target clients by 25%!"... :) ). Maybe that way we
would get some contributors that care about doing things that are well designed
and that can be integrated into OSG? I mean "quick-and-dirty" game-oriented
node kits (or plugins/etc.) would certainly be created, but only the most used
and best designed and general-purpose ones would be candidates for integration
(as usual).

> The OSG also has to remain practical to maintain, which means not
> overloading the core developers and community with lots of new
> software technology that has to be tested, debugging, ported and
> maintained.  Pulling in extra manpower from a wider community can
> help, but it can also be a burden.  Software projects effectiveness
> don't usually scale with manpower well, quality of engineering talent
> is actually far more important than quantity.

I think the same. But I also think that growing the community, even with good
talents, will certainly be a hard task if there is nobody to manage a little
bit the efforts of the generous volunteers, as said before.

> In terms of priorities, my own are getting a stable OSG-2.8 out the
> door with binary packages for the main platforms in a timely manner.
> Once 2.8 goes out then we can go try our collective hand at marketing
> the release/project in general.
>
> Robert.

That's sounds logical to me.
In the meantime, I think I'll start a thread about search engines visibility;
no objections to that? :)

Sukender