Thanks Robert.
Just to update you...
osgshaders... I hadn't noticed before, but when the models are on the
left hand (primary) monitor, osgshaders fails as per the image at
http://vr3.tees.ac.uk/osg280rc1/osg280rc1_osgShaders.jpg, but the
shaders work if I move the camera so the models are on the right hand
(secondary) monitor.  There are some error messages...
FRAGMENT glCompileShader "" FAILED
VERTEX glCompileShader "" FAILED
glLinkProgram "blocky" FAILED
FRAGMENT glCompileShader "" FAILED
VERTEX glCompileShader "" FAILED
glLinkProgram "eroded" FAILED
FRAGMENT glCompileShader "" FAILED
VERTEX glCompileShader "" FAILED
glLinkProgram "marble" FAILED
Warning: detected OpenGL error 'invalid value' after RenderBin::draw(,)

osgstereoimage says "Warning GraphicsWindowWin32::grabFocus() - Failed
grabbing the focus".  The PC becomes very sluggish, but does allow me to
exit from osgstereoimage without any problem.
The NULL pointer error with the mandlebrot set doesn't want to repeat
itself :-(
I'm using the 2.6.0 version of OpenSceneGraph-Data.
Gary.

Message: 8