It sounds questions about memory leak reports on Windows come up often. I'd like to address this in the FAQ. Any objections?

Cory

Robert Osfield wrote:
Hi Adrian,

In the early days of the OSG I wrote a few custom new/delete operators
and the associated infrastructure for tracking memory, but in the end
it was too painful to maintain and really not anything to do with the
core OSG's focus.  There are far better tools out there for tracking
memory than things we can plug together.  Might I suggest
investigating the the open source memory tracking tools that exists,
perhaps we might be able to help make use of them easier, but I
wouldn't advocate tacking on the tasks of doing memory tracking
ourselves.

As for false positives... we that's just a fact of life, you use these
tools and they generate useful results and misleading results.
Knowing what is useful and what is misleading is the part that takes
skill and good judgement.  People are often seduced by the idea of
silver bullet, the one something that can fix lots of things in one
swoop.  We as a community will always see traffic that is generated by
the false positives, be it warnings from compilers or memory tracking
tools, the best we can do is get wise to what patterns of false
positive exist and to spot them when they arise to try to save
everybodies time.

Robert.

On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 7:44 PM, Adrian Egli OpenSceneGraph (3D)