..... Original Message .......
On Tue, 17 Feb 2009 09:31:37 -0500 "Jean-Sébastien Guay"
<jean-sebastien.g...@cm-labs.com> wrote:
>Hi Philip,
>
>> Yeah, those ZIP releases of the OSG 2.8.0 prebuilts should really have
>> the following files placed in the "bin" folder so they work
>> out-of-the-box on Windows 2000, Windows XP, or Windows Vista without
>> anyone having to install the MSVC runtime crap.
>
>IMHO, installing the "MSVC runtime crap" is preferable to copying the
>same DLLs in every release zip for every version of OSG (and potentially
>every other project we work on...) and therefore having potentially tens
>if not hundreds of copies of the same files on your system. Installing
>the redist ensures you have one copy (the right one) and it's accessible
>to all programs.

Personally I would trade the whopping 1.6 MB this would take up for the
assurance that the binaries will work on all machines.  Of course if you want
an end-user's first experience running osgviewer to view some model they found
online to be a cryptic error message, then by all means leave things the way
they are.  Unfortunately, not every first time user of OSG is going to have
MSVC installed or the runtime libraries installed.

Yes I agree this sucks.  Unfortunately the SxS runtime libraries do not come
with Windows.

There is no disadvantage to including the runtime DLLs aside from an extra 4
files and 1.6MB of space used.  I think this is really a no brainer.

--
Philip Lowman